Foundations in place Week 8

Things are moving along now

So looking at my projects as it stands:


Major Research Project

I feel like I’ve now honed in on what my project is focused on which has been evolving weekly until this point. I've picked out my main areas of research and have built a substantial collection of reading and notes on most of them. The 5 areas are:

  1. Depression
  2. Suicide
  3. Stigma 
  4. Social Media
  5. Art Therapy
I've began writing about depression, suicide, stigma and a little on art therapy. I only decided last week that the focus was going to be on social media rather than the digital age so as it stands that area is very limited. I visited my local library last week to look for books on the subject but couldn't find anything useful, I did however find another couple of books on depression and suicide so it wasn't a total waste. I think most of the information is going to come from online sources as social media is still a reasonably new thing and also changes constantly so statistically speaking I need to be looking in areas where information is updated regularly. 

I've not yet actioned the changes spoken about from my 1000 word review but I intend on doing that before the end of the week so that I am in a good place when adding new work to the piece.


Major Design Project

I think I am in a pretty good place with my design project, I'm almost set on the pieces that I want to make and how I am going to produce them (obviously this is still able to evolve). I have the 3D printer now but it is still in its box, getting it up and running is of upmost importance and again I want it set up and printing by the end of this week. I want to start producing prototypes asap. 


Professional Project

I know the competition I am entering and I know the category that I want to submit my work under too. I now need to start mind mapping my ideas and put some storyboards together. I have been looking at locations for the shoots and I am thinking that using suicide hotspots as my backdrops might give me the emotion that I am seeking through my pieces. I want to be able to use my submission as part of my degree show and for that they need to fit in with the rest of the work. I think it could be quite interesting to push them on from the competition submission but also use light and shadow for example to make them feel as if its all part of the same project rather than different projects thrown together. 


Social Media Project

For the social project the timeline has begun to take shape and the roles are becoming more concrete. This month I need to put the logo together (and animate it) insuring it can be sized to fit all the media sources that we will be using. I need to speak to my Father in law who works for a drinks company about the possibility of getting the degree show sponsored and see if the company will be willing to gift us some free booze for the event! Happy days!